Thursday, February 22, 2007

#14 (week 6)

Okay, so as the previous post says, I have claimed my blog on technorati. I have also explored Discover and Popular features, and found some blogs that I would perhaps never have known about otherwise that I'll probably go back and look at later. All this new technology that I'm learning is both good and bad, because it opens new horizons for me, but it also gives me a lot more things to be interested in, and as someone with ADD, this in not necessarily a good thing.

Tagging is, in many ways, a cool thing. It is really helpful in tieing together the input of many people who have common interests. The one thing I have trouble with is that it is not as organized as the classic forms of catagorizing information that we who work in libraries are used to, and if you neglect to search certain tags, you'll miss out on information that would be of interest. If you neglect to use certain tags on your stuff, others who might be interested will miss out.

1 comment:

Virtual Services Team said...

You have hit upon one of those nagging issues that librarians hate about user-defined tags. It's very hard to find stuff when everyone is making up their own keywords. This is why librarians came up with standardized vocabularies to use for MARC records and the rest.

Thanks for working so hard on the 23 things - you are doing a great job!