Friday, February 2, 2007




I have now lived in California my whole adult life, but having spent my whole childhood in Texas, as well as having parents and grandparents who all grew up in Texas, it will always have a place in my heart. There are many things I did not/don't like about Texas, but many things I did/do like about Texas. George Bush isn't one of them, but then he's no real Texan. His family moved there from New England, for heaven's sake. He's a damn carpetbagger. Don't blame Texas for him.
I've included some photos of Texas I found on Flickr that show some of the things I remember fondly about Texas (no, not the grassy knoll and the book depository - they're just there to show how near I was the day Kennedy was shot. Okay, I was actually in Plano at the time, but it felt pretty close ). I find parts of the Texas landscape very scenic, especially the Hill Country. I also like some of the old, small towns in Texas. The photo of Luckenbach that I have linked to captures the feel of them for me - slow and easy. And you won't find storm clouds in California like you will in Texas, at least not on the coast. You also don't find fireflys in California. I miss them a lot, but I don't miss the hot, muggy summer nights that you have to put up with in order to see them. Here are some photos I attached of things I like about Texas, as well as some links. Hill Country indian paintbrushes bluebonnets Dallas Courthouse Luckenbach

4 comments:

rutyer said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
rutyer said...

He Virg, nice blog! You seem to be adjusting well to this technology. I know we don't have storms like Texas, but you won't find mountains there like you do here either. Take care!

Virtual Services Team said...

Nice job on your blog. I love the photos you link to, especially the Indian paintbrushes. Keep up the good work!

MVL said...

Hey, Rog, Texas may not have mountains like California, but did you see that lovely picture of the Texas Hill Country that I linked to? That region of Texas isn't as dramatic as California, but it sure is pretty.