Tuesday, February 27, 2007

#15 (Week 6). A few Perspectives on Web 2.0. Future of Libraries

Okay, so now I've read several perspectives on how Web 2.0 applies to the future of libraries, and I have to admit that they have helped to put all these exercises into perspective for me. I'm still not entirely sure exactly how some of these technologies can be used, but I'm sure that when I see them being used effectively to promote the dissemination of information, I will recognize them, and understand.

I found Rick Anderson's perspective, Away from the “icebergs”, particularly thought provoking with his insistence on questioning the traditions of libraries. My first job working at a library was at the main library on campus as I worked my way through college, so my first experience was working in an academic/archival library. When I started working for the public library I found the whole idea of weeding really difficult at first. How could one possibly consider discarding a book, simply because it wasn't circulating? Over the years I have worked for San Jose I have become much more comfortable with the whole idea of weeding, recently taking the lead on some of the weeding done here at Alviso. As a result of this Learning 2.0 that we've been doing, I can see how, as we address the icebergs that Mr. Anderson discusses, such as the reliance on user education, and the“come to us” model of library service, and we make the content of the billions of books that exist more readily available to everyone, there really won't be a need for the“just in case” collection. I don't think that day is here, yet, but it's coming.

No comments: