Thursday, March 8, 2007

#16 (Week 7)

Out of the 23 things we have been learning about, I think that wikis are one of the most useful for librarians and libraries. They do have the disadvantage of being subjective, but with an active online community, any inaccuracies should be caught and corrected fairly quickly, except for entries that have been protected from change in one way or another, at least when it's a community of well educated, knowledgeable individuals.

I especially liked the SJCPL Subject Guides wiki. I thought it was well thought out and logically arranged. San Jose could stand to do something like that, maybe have a section explaining the Dewey and Library of Congress filing systems for the layman, as well as the same sort of entries that the SJCPL Subject Guide includes. I may also visit Book Lovers Wiki again. Heck, I might even add an entry to it at some point. It's a nice way for book lovers to share their opinions with each other without all the extraneous stuff one has to put up with in order to see others' opinions when using Amazon.com, though the Book Lovers Wiki could use a section on graphic novels (yeah, I know - I could add one).

1 comment:

Virtual Services Team said...

I love your wiki attitude! It only makes sense that if a site has active contributors who monitor each other the content would be more trustworthy. I hope we can start using them more in the library.